This course is intended to provide the delegate with the understanding and skill to undertake non-destructive testing of the rail in accordance with Network Rail Standard NR/SP/TRK/056.
At the end of this course the delegates will: –
- Have a clear understanding of the Network Rail Standards which relate to non-destructive testing of the rail.
- Be able to inspect the condition of the rail and welds by using both magnetic particle and dye penetrative inspection.
- Be aware of the relevant Health and Safety requirements relating to the use of chemicals etc. PUWER, COSHH.
- Be aware of the regulations when working the vicinity of Overhead Line and D.C. Lines.
Two Days, inclusive of theoretical and practical on-site assessments.
There are no particular educational or competence pre-requisites for the course. However, the factors will benefit the delegates:-
- Prior knowledge of the Permanent Way track and its components.
Personal Protective Equipment
This course requires the delegate to be on or near the running line, therefore he/she MUST be in possession of: –
- Protective “all orange” High Visibility clothing to BS EN 471:2003
- Safety Footwear to BS EN ISO 20345:2004
- Safety Helmet (white/blue) to BS EN 397:1995
- Ear Protection
- Safety Glasses to BS EN 166 and of Optical Class 1 with Impact Resistance F
- General Purpose Gloves to BS EN388:2121
The protective equipment must comply with current safety standards.
A Certificate of Competence will be awarded to the delegate upon successful completion of both an underpinning knowledge theory assessment and practical on-site assessment.