This course is intended to provide a delegate with the underpinning knowledge and practical skills necessary to undertake the inspection and general maintenance of sidings.
At the end of this course the delegates will: –
- Be aware of the legislation and safety requirements when carrying out their duties
- Have a clear understanding of track construction including components of both plain line and switch & crossings
- Be able to carry out maintenance requirements
- Be able to carry out maintenance to the track work using both hand books and mechanised plant
- Have a clear understanding of the need for planning and preparation of work
- Have an understanding of the company procedure for reporting defects and the need to complete relevant documentation in a clear and concise manner
There are no practical educational or competency pre-requisites for the course. However, a basic understanding of the track and use of hand tools could be beneficial.
Personal Protective Equipment
This course requires the delegate to be on or near the running line and therefore, he/she MUST be in possession of:-
- Valid P. T. S. Card
- Protective “all orange” High Visibility Clothing to BS EN 471:2003
- Safety Footwear to BS EN ISO 20345:2004
- Safety Helmet (white/blue) to BS EN 397:1995
- General Purpose Gloves to BS EN388:2121
- Safety Glasses to BS EN 166 and of Optical Class 1 with Impact Resistance F
A competence Assessment of underpinning knowledge and performance can be completed if required by the client.