This course is intended to provide delegates with a full understanding of the Ballast Tamper and the method of carrying out these duties in a safe and efficient manner.
At the end of this course the delegates will:
- Understand fully the responsibilities relating to the operation of Hand Held Petrol Ballast Tampers
- Understand the competent persons role within that system
- Be able to identify the different components of the Ballast Tamper
- Understand fully the safety requirements included in the Regulations
- Be aware of and avoid the dangers when using the Ballast Tamper
- Know how to safely check the Ballast Tamper prior to use and the action necessary with faulty equipment
- Be able to fault find in the event of operational difficulties
- Know the operating precautions to be applied and on whose authority it can be used.
Half a day for practical application of ballast tamping.
Delegates will require to hold a valid P.T.S. Certificate.
Personal Protective Equipment
This course requires the delegate to be on or near the running line, therefore, he/she MUST be in possession of: –
- Valid P. T. S. Card
- Protective “all orange” High Visibility Clothing to BS EN 471:2003
- Safety Footwear to BS EN ISO 20345:2004
- Safety Helmet (white/blue) to BS EN 397:1995
- General Purpose Gloves to BS EN 388:2121
- Ear Protection
- Safety Glasses to BS EN 166 and of Optical Class 1 with Impact Resistance F
The protective equipment must comply with current safety standards.
A Certificate of Competence will be awarded to the delegate upon successful completion of both an underpinning knowledge theory assessment and practical on-site assessment.