This course is intended to provide a delegate with the understanding required to successfully interpret the relevant parts of the Rule Book, Handbook 5 when required to carry out handsignalling duties.
At the end of this course the delegates will: –
- Be able to demonstrate a clear understanding when handsignals have to be used.
- Be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of all relevant safety procedures when on or near the line.
- Be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the equipment used by a handsignaller.
- Be able to understand and demonstrate the placing of detonator protection when carrying out their duties.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of where the handsignaller is positioned and who to receive instructions from.
- Be able to demonstrate the use of the phonetic alphabet.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of signal identification and the use of an SPRS when required
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding in connection within temporary block working.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding when positioned with regard to Single Line Working.
Two Days, inclusive of both theoretical and practical assessments
Delegates must be in possession of a valid Sentinel card endorsed for IWA/COSS.
Personal Protective Equipment
This course requires the delegate to be on or near the line, therefore, he/she MUST be in possession of: –
- A Valid P.T.S. Card
- Protective “all orange” high Visibility clothing to BS EN 471:2003
- Safety Footwear to BS EN ISO 20345:2004
- Safety Helmet (white/blue) to BS EN 397:1995
- General Purpose Gloves to BS EN388:2121
This competency is valid for two years. A Network Rail Sentinel card, will be awarded to each successful candidate.