Handsignaller AOD – Initial
This course is intended to provide a delegate with the understanding required to successfully interpret the relevant parts of the Rule Book and Handbook when required to carry out Handsignalling duties.
At the end of this course the delegates will: –
- Be able to demonstrate a clear understanding when handsignals have to be used.
- Be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of all relevant safety procedures when on or near the line.
- Be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the equipment used by a handsignaller.
- Be able to understand and demonstrate the placing of detonator protection when carrying out their duties.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of where the handsignaller is positioned and who to receive instructions from.
- Be able to demonstrate the use of the phonetic alphabet.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of signal identification and the use of an SPRS when required
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding in connection within temporary block working.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding when positioned with regard to Single Line Working.
Two Days, inclusive of both theoretical and practical assessments
Delegates must be in possession of a valid Sentinel card endorsed for IWA/COSS.
Personal Protective Equipment
This course requires the delegate to be on or near the line, therefore, he/she MUST be in possession of: –
- A Valid P.T.S. Card
- Protective “all orange” high Visibility clothing to BS EN 471:2003
- Safety Footwear to BS EN ISO 20345:2004
- Safety Helmet (white/blue) to BS EN 397:1995
- General Purpose Gloves to BS EN388:2121
This competency is valid for two years. A Network Rail Sentinel card, will be awarded to each successful candidate.